Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting darker...

Interestingly a lot of people don't know that black babies come out looking quite...well, white. Anna looked like every other baby there in the nursery, and after a few weeks got brown. Virginia was just slightly brown when born other than the tips of her fingers and the tops of her ears were slightly darker. From Saturday the 12th of Sept through Monday the 14th, we noticed Virginia getting darker by the day. It was really fun to watch, the same thing happend with Anna, but not that young. Anna is biracial, when we adopted her we didn't know if the birth father was the white man from Raleigh or the black man from Charlotte. Anna's birthmother was white, so we really didn't know what Anna would look like. We were delighted when she turned a beautiful shade of brown. Since Anna is biracial we really loved the idea of adopting another biracial or black baby. We felt Virginia's spirit in our home even before she was here physically, such a wonderful feeling. I could tell my child was there! We also had the same experience before we adopted Anna. It is wonderful to know that the Lord has a plan and we are a part of it.

Also when I was a child, there were these beautiful dolls "My Child" dolls. They were the cute competition for the very ugly cabbage patch dolls. I got three of them when I was a child, and still have them to this day. One is fair with blonde hair, one with red hair and one that is black with black hair. I wanted to adopt a black baby from the time when I wasn't much of a baby.

Also in the picture there are two topsy turvy dolls, that change from blonde to black girl by pulling the skirt up or down, I believe my grandmother made them...?


1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. I am thrilled you have your baby. I can't wait to meet her. I am counting down to Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete