Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Not too cheesy...huh?






So, after Virginia was born, they took her out of the operating room and into the neighboring room where they started to suction out her mouth and clean her off. Virginia was covered in white pasty stuff, I asked the nurse, what is that? She told me something, but then said we call it cheese. Then of all the funny things to say about a newborn she said, "She is not too cheesy, really." After a minute or so, Carl was allowed in this additional room so he could see Virginia the first time. We just said, "Hi, baby. You are beautiful" to our new little one. After a short while we were led to the nursery, where I was allowed to go in and watch them do all of Virginia'a assesments, give her a bath and attach the "mandatory" bow. I chose a beautiful green one for her. This took some time, and Carl was plastered to the window watching, trying the best to take pictures through the glass. I could see already that Virginia was trying to suck her thumb, so I promptly explained to her, she was a Westergard, and there was to be no thumb sucking. I then requested a binki which she latched onto. I also noticed her dimples!We were told that the birthmom wanted to see the baby as soon as she had come to the recovery floor, so we didn't have much time to spend with her at all. After she was done in the nursery about 1 hour, Carl got about 40 minutes to spend with Virginia in a breastfeeding room they let us use for a short time. There he got to feed her the first bottle. He was flying home the next morning so this was the last time he would see her until we came home from Utah on the 18th. Such a painfully long time for him to wait. He did the most bonding he could with the time he had.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite favorite picture. I love your family. You are my best friend and was so absolutly honored to be part of such a miracle. These moments will be part of my top 10 forever.

    ReplyDelete